[PD] OT: Partition space for ubuntu distro?

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 00:39:35 CEST 2012

hi João,

> I'm going to install ubuntu in my thinkpad x61s, and wanted to ask the
> following questions for the most experienced persons around:
>
> - the computer is for media work, 97% only Pd. Maybe some ardour or
> other small programs (no video work)
> - is the latest ubuntu version recommended? 12.04 LTS?

I don't like ubuntu for music cause it's bloated by default.. (I'm an
happy arch user)

at least you should think about using a lightweight wm (à la xfce4,
awesome, ...) instead of latest gnome|unity.
on my thinkpad x60, this makes a big difference =)

> - although the computer is 64b, I think the 32b is better for
> compatibility. is that right?

I'd say go 64, unless you really have to use old fancy things

> - hardwares I mostly work with are hammerfall multiface hdsp (original
> model), bcf2000, wacom tablet

no problem

> - anything else I should consider? does this version copes well with ntfs?

*you want* to use ext4

> - usually I have my systems (w7 + ubuntu) in their individual
> partitions, and all work files are in a 3rd partition.

as I said above, I'd use a ext4 partition for linux and avoid even
reading from ntfs when working. ntfs == windowz

> - following the guidelines above (or any others you find relevant), how
> much space should I reserve to install the ubuntu system?

15-20Gb should be more than enough and keep you safe for your system if
you have a separate $HOME partition.

my 20 COP :)
ciao

http://yvanvolochine.com