[PD] OT: Partition space for ubuntu distro?

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Thu Oct 18 09:55:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

yvan volochine wrote:
> >- although the computer is 64b, I think the 32b is better for
> >compatibility. is that right?
> I'd say go 64, unless you really have to use old fancy things

I'd say stick with 32bits unless you need more than 4GB _at once_.  I
had a x60s with archlinux, and 32 bits felt faster (esp.
Java/processing is unusable on 64bits). On my new x201 I installed 32
bits too.

Just an feeling, no hard data ;).

> >- anything else I should consider?

Get a ssd drive. That's the main bottleneck on these computers. My
thinkpad got to boot to X from 15s to 6s just by changing the drive.
Switching to systemd makes it in about 4s.

> >- following the guidelines above (or any others you find relevant), how
> >much space should I reserve to install the ubuntu system?
> 15-20Gb should be more than enough and keep you safe for your system
> if you have a separate $HOME partition.

Agreed :)

++
--