[PD] [OT] Disk types and filesystems: [WAS] Re: OT: Partition space for ubuntu distro?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:45:59 CEST 2012

On 18/10/12 10:24, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>> Get a ssd drive. That's the main bottleneck on these computers. My
>> thinkpad got to boot to X from 15s to 6s just by changing the
>> drive. Switching to systemd makes it in about 4s.
>
> hmm, getting booting speeds from 15s to 6s is really something that is
> cool to show off at presentations.

Also when in these situations it might be handy to 'hibernate' the
system, saves battery and you have it up and ready very quick.

> however, i doubt that it will effect you in real live (that is, unless
> your system likes to crash during shows and you need to get back after
> a cold reset in front of a waiting audience)

Shouldn't SSD speeds also affect some overall performance aspects? Like
it or not you are always writing/reading something from disk at a
certain point no? I'd imagine for example you would have some benefit
for multitrack hard disk recording et sim.
Of course the benefit/cost assessment is another, in my opinion open,
matter.

> my personal experience (with an eee901 and a 128GB SSD disk - one of
> the best systems i ever had, though obviously no number-cruncher) was
> rather mixed: after about 2 years the harddisk started to die away.
> i never found out whether the problem was the SSD or a faulty
> controller, but i stopped being unconditionally in favour of SSD then.
> (and it seems most people who praise SSD have only been using it for 6
> months or).

That's my same doubt with SSD (together with their current price).
Because adoption (and widespread of it) is rather recent, it's hard to
really assess reliability and risk factors.

  On the other hand I have a couple of very bad experiences with
_external_ hard disks where the arm borke and failed, could be because
even in laptops hard disks are much better protected than in mobile
cases. Fortunately these were 'travel' disks and I had backups.
I got somewhat 'paranoid' with digital backups when a few years ago I
lost some stuff: no hardware failure, I deleted it by mistake: as silly
as it may sound it does happen, and when it does it bites!

> On 2012-10-18 00:39, yvan volochine wrote:
>>
>>> - anything else I should consider? does this version copes well
>>> with ntfs?
>>
>> *you want* to use ext4
>>
>>> - usually I have my systems (w7 + ubuntu) in their individual
>>> partitions, and all work files are in a 3rd partition.
>>
>> as I said above, I'd use a ext4 partition for linux and avoid even
>> reading from ntfs when working. ntfs == windowz
>
> now this seems to imply that there is only a philosophical reason to
> not use NTFS.
> and while i'm always in when it comes to w32 bashing, i'd like to add
> that there are technical reasons as well.
> first, on any recent linux distribution you should be able to "just
> use" NTFS, with reading, writing, and what not. great!
> the bad news is that nowadays NTFS support is implemented via a FUSE
> driver ("NTFS-3G"), which means that the driver is not a kernel-driver
> but is running in user-space. afaik, this has mostly licensing

The only real reason to use NTFS is that realistically it is more
portable, so if you read need to read the disk from an OS that won't
easily read the ext-* family go for NTFS. But i guess that would be for
more of a backup/portable/transfer disk.

Lorenzo.