[PD] OT: Partition space for ubuntu distro?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:46:42 CEST 2012

>> Get a ssd drive. That's the main bottleneck on these computers. My
>> thinkpad got to boot to X from 15s to 6s just by changing the
>> drive. Switching to systemd makes it in about 4s.
>
> hmm, getting booting speeds from 15s to 6s is really something that is
> cool to show off at presentations.
> however, i doubt that it will effect you in real live (that is, unless
> your system likes to crash during shows and you need to get back after
> a cold reset in front of a waiting audience)

I'm also not a big fan of ssd as well: I don't mind waiting for my boot,
don't use hardly any media that really demand those speeds, the price is
still to high and the technology too new, and afaik, there's still a limit
of times the sectors can be written.

>>> - anything else I should consider? does this version copes well
>>> with ntfs?
>>
>> *you want* to use ext4
>>
>>> - usually I have my systems (w7 + ubuntu) in their individual
>>> partitions, and all work files are in a 3rd partition.
>>
>> as I said above, I'd use a ext4 partition for linux and avoid even
>> reading from ntfs when working. ntfs == windowz
>
> now this seems to imply that there is only a philosophical reason to
> not use NTFS.
> and while i'm always in when it comes to w32 bashing, i'd like to add
> that there are technical reasons as well.
> first, on any recent linux distribution you should be able to "just
> use" NTFS, with reading, writing, and what not. great!
> the bad news is that nowadays NTFS support is implemented via a FUSE
> driver ("NTFS-3G"), which means that the driver is not a kernel-driver
> but is running in user-space. afaik, this has mostly licensing
> reasons, but anyhow: running in user-space means that the
> *performance* of the NTFS-access will simply be deplorable. it's
> certainly good enough to backup your system or to share data.
> but if you want to use that partition to hold your ardour session,
> then i'd rather use something else (ext2 might still be the fastest,
> ext3/4 might be more feasible)

I don't mind much about philosophical reasons there are not to use
whatever, windows is and will be my main system.
practical reasons are more important. for the w7/ubuntu common work
partition, I usually use ext32. I just wanted to know if ntfs was already
safe to use, but I can remain with fat32 - I don't have many files that go
over the size limit (although probably there are other disadvantages I
don't know)
I could use put some work in the linux partition (e.g. ardour sessions, if
I ever touch that program again), but ideally I use the common partition
for that - then I can work on Pd from both windows and linux sides, look
at my browser sessions, etc.

thanks for all the feedback,

jmmmp