[PD] Stream phone call to pd?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:52:32 CET 2012

Hello Sebastian,

Couple of years ago I tried to use a bluetooth stereo device for
wireless monitoring in Pd. Nice thing about OSX is you can create an
'Aggregated Device' in 'Audio MIDI Setup' to include the bluetooth
stereo to the regular sound card and use the extra channels in Pd.
However, I soon found that bluetooth stereo had over half a second
latency, so it was not useful for my purpose of monitoring. Besides
that, bluetooth audio pairing was really a pain in OSX (back then at
least).

Another thing, when connecting a phone as bluetooth device to MacBook,
I see the following services: Dial-up Networking, Human interface
device, OBEX File Transfer, OBEX Object Push. None of these makes the
phone available as an extra audio interface. No way to capture it's
audio in Pd, like it can be done with bluetooth headsets.

With WIFI-enabled cell phones there may be better possibilities, using
Skype or similar, and route audio to Pd with Jack or Soundflower.

Katja