[PD] mysterious segfault while receiving midi commands...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Oct 29 20:35:33 CET 2012

hi *!

two days ago, my pd-based cue player (btw, new release at
http://stackingdwarves.net/public_stuff/software/CueFrog/) chashed and
burned during a live show. not good.

pd segfaulted while i had one six-channel instance of readanysf running
and five more two-channel instances stopped, at the precise moment when
i was sending a midi cc to stop the running player and another to start
a new one, while i was at the same time moving a midi fader for volume
control.

unfortunately, i had core dumps disabled, and as luck would have it, the
crash seems impossible to reproduce without an audience of 200 and a
director to go ballistic. so unless someone has an audience simulator
test scaffold: what are, in your experience, the most likely causes of
such sudden segfaults, and are there workarounds or defensive practices
which i could implement?

i'm using the current releases of pd-vanilla, vbap and readanysf~.

in case someone feels inclined to look at my programming style and lead
me back to the path of righteousness, the actual show patch i was using
on top of CueFrog is at http://stackingdwarves.net/download/pd-crash.pd

looking forward to your ideas!

best

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net