[PD] MIDI and JACK autoconnection is a PITA...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Oct 30 19:44:59 CET 2012

johanna, simon,

On 10/30/2012 01:04 AM, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 30/10/12 06:12, Johanna Nowak wrote:
>> Jörn,
>>
>> this is a quick shoot from the hips, perhaps it can help:
>>
>> * Jörn Nettingsmeier<nettings at stackingdwarves.net>  [2012-10-29 20:38]:
>
>>> is there a way to prevent pd from doing this? particularly in the
>>> alsa midi case, it's a really blatant misfeature, because in the
>>> presence of a software midi thru port, it will immediately create a
>>> parameter loop which will make any connected midi controller go wild
>>> and burn its motors.
>> If this is the case for the BCF2000 try using its "U-3" or "S-3" mode,
>> where it will not echo the received midi data to its outputs.
>
> The BCF2000 and the Pd sliders work very well together with feedback -
> not sure exactly which side does the work to allow the loopback to work
> well, but it does, it is possible to use those loops to give manual
> control from the BCF2000 at the same time as Pd sliders and calculated
> values are being used.

i think you misread my post - the feedback is caused by pd
autoconnecting to a software midi thru port, not by the BCF.

meanwhile, i'm following michael's advice, which solves the problem at
least for midi. jack autoconnection is still darn irritating, though...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net