[PD] MIDI and JACK autoconnection is a PITA...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Oct 30 20:44:30 CET 2012

Hi Miller,

On 10/30/2012 08:05 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Quick question... is this autoconnect problem only relevant to midi
> or does it also affect jack audio connections?  I'd like to try to fix
> this but never use jack so am not sure where to start.

well, for MIDI I can live with the workaround suggested by Michael and
elsewhere by IOhannes, but there is no such workaround to prevent JACK
autoconnection afaik.

Pd should just not attempt autoconnection when using JACK, unless the
ports to connect to have been explicitly configured by the user. JACK
setups tend to be more complex than the usual
first-2-channels-to-speakers assumption, so Pd _will_ guess wrong most
of the time, sometimes with painfully loud and embarrassing results.
No user-friendly JACK client should ever autoconnect without being asked
to, because this effectively prevents JACK session managers from doing
their job.

Something like this, maybe?:

pd -jack   --> no connection
pd -jack -jackin system:capture_25 system:capture_26 \
	-jackout system:playback_17 system:playback_18 \
	system:playback_19 system:playback_20
	   --> connect to specified ports

having the same options in ~/.pdsettings would be great.

Best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net