[PD] MIDI and JACK autoconnection is a PITA...

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:28:05 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 12:10 +0100, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:55:17 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> wrote:

> >> maybe a startup flag and/or preference (off by default)?
> >>

> > i think it's quite easy to setup a permament connection using 3rd
> > party tools like qjackctl or patchage (or even my [aconnect] external
> > :-))
> >
> > so Pd could be left blessfully unaware about all the connection stuff
> > and leave it to software that are good at that.
> >

> atm, a lot of software are doing auto-connection, and there is no good way
> to control this IMO atm. qjackctl has the ability to auto-connect apps,
> but not to auto-disconnect.
> I do prefer that apps do not autoconnect, but at the same time, I don't
> mind having the option.
> I would vote for adding a toggle for this in pd jack setup.

While we're at it, another problem is that Pd disappears in Jack when
turning DSP off and auto-connects again, when turning DSP back on.
Touching the DSP toggle completely messes up your connections in Jack.

DSP on/off and audio-API on/off should be treated as different things.

Miller promised a fix for that in 0.44 (if he didn't forget), though.

Roman