[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-extended 0.43.4 beta release, its almost done!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 31 19:04:02 CET 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:

> Le 29/10/12 04:43, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> The main difference that I can think of is that Pd-extended uses a newer version of Portaudio to get 64-bit support on all platforms.
> There is two phenomenas:
> - a cpu consumption that is decreasing when the window is moved. That seems to be the new 0.43 GUI code, because this is happening even in pd-vanilla
> - a cpu difference between pd-x and vanilla

The new GUI code in 0.43 is almost all in the Wish process. On Mac OS X, the Wish process will show up as 'Pd-0.43.4-extended-20121030' or something like that.  Not much changed in the 'pd' process itself in terms of the GUI code.  If you are seeing high CPU usage in the 'pd' process and not the Wish process, then its unlikely that the new GUI is the cause.

On Mac OS X, you can use Shark.app to profile a running app.  Chances are you'll see what we've seen all along: most of this CPU usage is Pd blocking with wait calls.

In the pd source tarball is a folder called 'portaudio'.  Delete it, then download the version you want to try from http://portaudio.com.  When you unzip it, you'll see a folder called 'portaudio', but that in your pd source, so its like pd/portaudio/ as in pd/portaudio/src