[PD] firewire is dead?

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Mon Nov 19 01:07:10 CET 2012

I just got a RME Fireface UCX and will test it on linux soon. it has a USB class compliant mode, so it should run. The documentation says that the latency in the class compliant mode is not as good as with the proprietary driver. It would be interesting to have numbers here how much better exactly the rme driver is over the class compliant.
I guess i'd simply connect output to input and measure the delay? Someone must have done this before, Is there a standard method? A patch?

I must say that I am a bit disappointed about the drivers for os x. I installed the firewire and USB drivers and updated the firmware, with the result that the settings app now crashes and the firmware update also quits unsuccessfully now. in the regular mode now all the led on the device are on and the sound is chpped up. USB class compliant mode however still works. i mailed the support. Disappointing for a device i just spend >1000 eur on. also the rme fireface driver is the only process which isn't 64bit that is loaded by the os.