[PD] weird behavior with dynamically created abstractions (sound doesn't work)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 01:14:42 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

Then let's describe it as a bug when newcomers run into these
predictable problems from the buggy behavior, and not as a feature
that helps the user handle dsp toggling the "right" way when doing
dynamic patching.

> i do some live-coding using dynamic patching, and found that saving the patch
> would re-compute the dsp-graph (i'm using abstractions, so saving will
> eventually re-instantiate a number of abstractions, which triggers a
> reavaulation of the dsp-graph; so i found that in practice this bug is not such
> a big problem for _me_)
>
>>  I've never seen an external in svn where [abstraction1] would rely on
> an
>>  internal [loadbang] in order to send a message to its outlet.
>
> well, very few *externals* (as in "atomic" (non-openable) objects
> written mostly in C) do anything with loadbangs.
>
> anyhow, even if we are talking only about abstractions, i think your assumption,
> that just because [loadbang] is not used in the  described way anywhere in the
> Pd-svn, this behaviour could simply be changed is not a valid one.
That's not my assumption.  I'm not petitioning for changing Pd's dynamic patching
system-- I don't know the details about how it works internally.  But virtually no one
uses [loadbangs] in the way described in the hypothetical examples used to rationalize
why it's desirable for the dynamic patching system to work the way it does.  That should
be a good indicator that this imaginary library of abstractions which exists only in list
statement that "this inconsistent behavior is entrenched in Pd and cannot simply
be changed."  (If that is indeed the case.)

-Jonathan