[PD] firewire is dead?

Tee pd at dadacafe.org
Wed Nov 21 17:25:36 CET 2012

On 16/10/2012 11:03, Max wrote:
> Am 16.10.2012 um 10:47 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>:
>> I will spear you my rant about the situation of external sound card for linux laptop users (many electronic musicians IMHO) as it would only be full of bitterness and frustration.
>
> I'd be interested in a recommendation for that (external soundcard for linux laptops).

i use a focusrite saffire 24 dsp, the slightly "bigger" version of the
saffire pro 24 that is listed as "experimentally supported" since 2009.

some months ago, a bit of code was added to also recognize the saffire
24 dsp. while the "dsp part" (VRM) is fully unsupported, the audio
interface itself works nicely for me.

in this case the ffado device support database status is a bit outdated.

the interface is hooked up to a thinkpad T400 running debian. i cannot
remember the no-xrun latency achieved out of the top of my head but iirc
something > 5ms.

i also heard good things about the edirol fa-66 and echo but never tried
them myself.

hth,

Tee