[PD] Freezes with Pd-Extended and Jack

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Nov 23 17:12:51 CET 2012

Starting jack after pd is fixed in pd-l2ork. Likewise, hanging after
connection with jack is lost is fixed in pd-l2ork. Pd 0.43 also has a
regression in its audio stack rewrite where reconnecting to jack fails and
outputs a salvo of errors (at least this was the case with the one that
ships with Ubuntu).

In respect to pd-l2ork and jack there is only one more lingering problem
which is actually related to jackd that ships with Ubuntu 12.04. Namely,
sometimes when jack is running and one somehow loses the soundcard (e.g.
accidental disconnection of a usb soundcard) while jackd is running.
Killing jackd process fixes this (since it is the one hanging and it never
sends signal to pd-l2ork or any other client that the sound is gone so
pd-L2ork waits on jackd). I was assured that this has been fixed if one
compiles latest version of jackd from source but haven't tried yet if that
indeed fixes it.

HTH