[PD] how to use extensions .l_i386 and .l_ia64 for Linux externals

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:50:34 CET 2012

Hello, I'd like to use extensions .l_i386 and .l_ia64 for Linux Pd
externals, like it is in Hans Christoph Steiner's [filterview]
project. But how does that work? In the makefile accompanying the
filterview project, Linux executable extensions are conventional
.pd_linux.

I'm looking for ways to simplify build procedures and distribution of
externals which are not in Pd-extended. At the moment, I let my
makefiles find the bitness of a Linux system and automatically copy
the executable to a directory bin/ or bin64/ according to bitness. But
the problem is, a Linux user has to remove the file of wrong bitness
so Pd can not try to load it. An executable (automatically) named with
an extension according to bitness is a great idea. But do these
extensions also work for Pd-E versions older than 0.43, and for
vanilla Pd?

Thanks,
Katja