[PD] what makes Pd-extended 0.43 so CPU-hungry?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:40:49 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> Thanks for this write-up and all that testing, its definitely very
> helpful.  So in the end, you're talking about Pd-extended on debian only?
> It sounds like your tests show that 0.43 was not slower on Mac OS X.
>
> It does look like the Debian-i386 builds don't have optimization turned
> on, you can look at the build log to see exactly how it was built

Hans I checked build logs for various Linux builds and for OSX. As it
turns out, Pd core is optimized as well as some external libs (ie
GEM), but other externals (like freeverb~) are optimized for OSX and
not for Debian.

I suspect the problem is in Makefiles according to the template. They
have lines like "OPT_FLAGS = -O6 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer".
But Makefiles for packages have OPT_FLAGS as well, therefore in the
library template it should be OPT_FLAGS +=, no? The darwin_app package
makefile defines a lot of OPT_FLAGS, including -fast. The linux
package makefile defines several OPT_FLAGS according to target
platform, but no optimization level. Apparently, OPT_FLAGS in the
package Makefile are implemented, and not the ones in the template.

I don't have a Pd autobuild or SVN setup on my Linux box now, can't
test a modification rightaway. Anyhow, I guess the problem is now
identified. I am sorry about my blunt subject title 'what makes Pd
0.43 so CPU hungry?'. It wasn't even about Pd, but Pd-extended.

Katja