[PD] No jack connections with -noadc

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 00:29:41 CET 2012

Dear Miller

This is what I experience with the audio back-ends of the current git:

-pa
+++
When launching pd with '-pa' (or nothing, for that matter), portaudio
seems to scan all available sound sources. Somehow it tries to connect
to a list of bluetooth devices, that once have been or currently are
connected to my box. Checking every single one takes approx. five
seconds each. The whole 'pd -pa' start process takes 22 seconds on my
box. This is the output:

----
roman at yoyo5:~$ pd -pa
oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
----

I get the same output and similar lag when starting audacity. This makes
me assume that this behavior is not at all specific to Pd but probably
is exposed by any application using portaudio (or a recent enough
version of portaudio?).

-jack
+++++
* turning DSP on after it has been turned off freezes Pd, when latency
is short (on my box below 20ms).
* turning DSP off still makes Pd disappear from the connections in jack.
Turning DSP off thus means loosing all manually created connections to
other jack clients (which won't be restored, when turning DSP on).

-alsa
+++++
As with -jack, it's not possible to do [; pd dsp 0, pd dsp 1( without
getting a drop-out. This is still a regression of 0.43 and 0.44. This
worked fine in 0.42.

Regarding the initial question, 'pd -noadc -jack' works, but only if
'-channels X' is also specified. But then, [adc~] does still receive
something.

Roman