[PD] [PD-announce] Pd group in Athens

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 21 21:58:27 CET 2012

On Dec 21, 2012, at 2:00 AM, subscriber wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> We've had good luck in NYC having a mixed Pd+Max meeting.  They are both quite similar, and so many people use both.
>>
>> I'm curious to hear what the Athens Pders and Maxers have to say about the Greek UI in Pd-extended 0.43.
> I checked the translation (transifex platform) and made modifications. Played a bit and changed some untranslated strings like Make app from patch/folder (see attached file).
> OSX 10.6.8, Pd-0.43.4-extended-20121220: The preferences (⌘,) dialog-window has no resize handle so I introduced abbreviated translated strings to keep buttons/strings visible - in dialog_path.tcl:41 width 600 will suffice for full strings.

This translation stuff is still very new, so we'll definitely have to improve how somethings are handled.  One example, things can be made to resize automatically based on the wide of the actual text, meaning the width of the buttons, etc. and therefore the window would match the width of the actual displayed text.

In the case of the Preferences window, because of the way its coded, that's not easy to do.  So I just increased the width to 500 to give more room for the different languages.  No doubt, Greek will not be the only language that needs more room.  Spanish, Portugeuse, German, Japanese, and Chinese fit perfectly in 500.  The window just looked bad at 600, so that's why I choose 500.

.hc