[PD] PengPod Linux tablet, hopefully coming soon

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:57:20 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> Hopefuilly some of these open hardware projects will spend the effort to get
> the audio drivers right, so that there isn't the massive latency like with
> Android.

Reportedly, Android's latency issues where for a large part due to the
audio mixer, which has been improved recently:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/07/android-high-performance-audio-in-4-1-and-what-it-means-plus-libpd-goodness-today/

Pd under Linux has the advantage of talking straight to ALSA. But even
when absolute latency time would be reasonably low, the instantaneous
load of a program respective to CPU/system speed may still justify
longer buffers. For example: Pd's testtone can do with 10 ms latency
on my no so new Linux laptop, but when running a moderately complex
patch it must be 20 ms, and when I measure real throughput latency
that's already 30 ms. And that laptop cannot do without realtime
kernel when audio goes via USB. Therefore I guess a realtime kernel
could also make a difference when running Pd on an ARM device.

Maybe Bastiaan can check throughput latency with Pd on the Cubieboard?
I've attached a (vanilla) patch for sample-precise throughput latency
measurement.

Katja