[PD] translate the Start Here! page

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 00:27:05 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----

The FLOSS Pure Data Manual has a big, static, unmaintainable list of
objects by category that gets more out of date every time pd-extended
drops or adds a library.

Example of how this problem manifests itself:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.multimedia.puredata.general/82173/focus=82174

Notice that this user presumably followed a very reasonable path to finding
objects: puredata.info -> FLOSS Manual -> FLOSS Manual Object List -> broken objects
in his/her instance of Pd.

Also notice that a large portion of the FLOSS Manual object list doesn't even
specify what library the externals belong to.

Also notice that the specific objects which the user asked about weren't even
updated in the manual after the thread had ended, nor to date.

Also notice that neither you nor I are the least bit interested in fixing these
problems in the FLOSS manual, and we're especially not interested in taking
it on as a long term project.  Who does that leave?  If it leaves anyone
wouldn't their time be better spent fixing the doc problems listed on the tracker
than etching in stone a description of a moving target?

-Jonathan