[PD] [PD-announce] PERFORMA 2013 – Conference on Musical Performance Studies

James Correa jcorrea.mus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:53:16 CET 2013

The Graduate Studies Program of the Instituto de Artes of the
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), in collaboration with
the Brazilian Association of Musical Performance (ABRAPEM), the
University of Aveiro and INET-MD (Institute of Ethnomusicology - Centre
for Music and Dance Studies), will host PERFORMA, a conference on
performance studies, from May 31st through June 2nd, 2013 in Porto
Alegre, Brazil. The keynote-speakers will be Prof. Eric Clarke, from the
University of Oxford, Prof. Paulo Assis, from the University Nova of
Lisbon/Orpheus Institute (Ghent), and Prof. Luca Chiantore, from
Musikeon/Escola Superior de Mu?sica de Catalunya.

This conference seeks to generate and present new perspectives on
musical performance through interdisciplinary dialogue. The main theme
for the 2013 edition will be artistic research and musical performance.
Submissions are now invited; we particularly welcome submissions that
address artistic research as a methodological outlook and that present
practice-based inquiry. The conference will also consider proposals on
any aspect of performance studies such as performance science,
philosophy and performance, performance practice, music pedagogy,
musicology, ethnomusicology and performance analysis.

We welcome abstracts of a maximum of 350 words for:

  *

    Paper presentations (max. length 20 minutes)

  *

    Pre-formed Panels: Please submit abstracts with each named speaker
    and their institutional

    affiliation. Panels should last 1 hour and 30 minutes.

  *

    Lecture-Recitals: should last from 30 to 45 minutes. Proposals
    submissions should specify

    exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter.

  *

    Posters.

    We do not require a pre-defined proposal format, but we recommend
    that submissions include information on context, aims, methods and
    results. Abstracts should be sent to performa at ca.ua.pt
    <mailto:performa at ca.ua.pt>.

    We also welcome proposals for 20-minutes long performances, which
    will be presented in a shared recital format. Applicants are invited
    to submit video/audio recordings of the proposed performance. The
    video should be posted on Youtube (please note that you can select
    private, unlisted or public viewing) and a link to the video should
    be sent to fialkow at terra.com.br <mailto:fialkow at terra.com.br>,
    accompanied by the name(s) of the performer(s), institutional
    affiliation, a list of the works to be performed, and a short bio.
    Please note that percussion equipment will not be provided.

    The submission deadline is January 14th, 2013.

    General enquiries (registration, travel, lodging) should be sent to
    lucnoda at gmail.com <mailto:lucnoda at gmail.com>.

    Abstracts and performance proposals will be reviewed by a panel, and
    presenters will be advised as to their acceptance or otherwise by
    mid-February, 2013. The deadline for the submission of proceedings
    articles (accepted authors only) is March 18th, 2013.