[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-extended 0.43.4 release candidate 1: last chance to report your bugs

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:13:55 CET 2013

On Die, 2013-01-08 at 12:14 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> 3)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
> When loading a patch in the Pd-extended release candidate, the memory
> footprint is approximately three times higher than loading the same
> patch with Pd 0.43.3 vanilla. For a patch that eats 200 MB of memory in
> Pd-vanilla, this means 600 MB memory usage in the current Pd-extended.
>
> The patch I used to measure the memory footprint does not use a lot of
> tables but contains many instances of abstractions and nested
> abstractions.
>
> My impression is that there wasn't such a huge difference with earlier
> builds of Pd-0.43-extended, though I don't have any data to confirm
> this. I'll check that when I found a version that does not exhibit the
> problems 1) and 2) and see whether the situation is different there.
>
> The difference in memory footprints seems consistent across operating
> systems, at least between Ubuntu 12.04.1 and Windows XP (both i386).

It appears the difference is not specific to recent version of
Pd-extended. I tried a version from May 2012 and it also uses 3 times
more memory for the same patch than Pd-vanilla.

It seems this isn't a release critical issue for most people. However, I
still wonder where this difference does come from.

Roman