[PD] .43.4 and ubuntu 10.04 error / wont launch gui

Rick T ratulloch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:13:13 CET 2013

Here's what comes back with no GUI

vmpd at vmpd-desktop:~$ pd-extended
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably
alter the line:
     @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
     @audio   -  memlock    2273067
no message buffer overruns
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|2048|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|soft-mode|32bit
control device hw:0
^CPd: signal 2
vmpd at vmpd-desktop:~$

One thing I noticed is that the limits.conf for 10.04 is located in
etc/security/ but the message is tell me to change the file in etc/

Thanks
Rick