[PD] .43.4 and ubuntu 10.04 error / wont launch gui

Rick T ratulloch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:44:57 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> On 01/10/2013 00:13, Rick T wrote:
>>
>> Here's what comes back with no GUI
>>
>> vmpd at vmpd-desktop:~$ pd-extended
>> priority 6 scheduling enabled.
>> priority 8 scheduling enabled.
>> jackd 0.118.0
>

> could you try starting PdX without jack?
> something like:
> $ pd-extended -alsa

ok this didn't work no gui and no error message

> or even
>
> $ pd-extended -nosound

The gui did come back this is what was in the terminal window
vmpd at vmpd-desktop:~$ pd-extended -nosound
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
open: /etc/pd/gem.conf: No such file or directory
open: /home/vmpd/.pd/gem.conf: No such file or directory
open: ./gem.conf: No such file or directory

And this is what was in the gui window
WARNING: 64-bit builds are still beta, some libraries are known to
have serious issues (cyclone, maxlib, moonlib, moocow, pdp, bsaylor,
etc.
flatspace: can't load library
memento: can't load library
rradical: can't load library
pixeltango: can't load library
toxy: can't load library
flib: can't load library
pidip: can't load library

>> One thing I noticed is that the limits.conf for 10.04 is located in
>> etc/security/ but the message is telling me to change the file in etc/
>

> this is unrelated. various distributions put those files in different places
> (though it seems that at least on debian derivatives there is a consensus to
> use directories for configurations where potentially multiple "agents"
> (sysadmins as well as packages) want to add/remove their little bits), and
> nobody cared to modify the jack sources for your distribution to print out
> the correct filename.
>
> nevertheless, you probably should change your limits according to the
> suggestion you got.

> does this also happen with Pd-0.44 (e.g. from git)?

I haven't tried .44 as of yet only the .43.4 version

thanks