[PD] choose language

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:11:47 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 12:36 PM, András Murányi wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Since Tcl handles all of the changing of English strings to the chosen
> >> language,
> >

> > Does it mean that there are no GUI strings in the C code?
>
> There are GUI strings in the C code, but in order for you to see them, they
> are sent to pd-gui, the Tcl process.  If you're running in -nogui mode,
> there
> will be no translations since all the translations are handled in Tcl.

Ah! BTW, would it take much to have gettext working on the C side too?

> >> it is theoritically possible to do in a plugin.  The key problem is
> >> that the translations are loaded (load_locale in pd-gui.tcl) before the
> >> plugins and Tcl's msgcat, the library for the translations, provides
> >> mcload,
> >> but no mkunload.
> >>

> > To be exact, not even mcunload would be necessary, just a way to reload
> > strings according to the new locale. Unfortunately, this functionality is
> > missing from TCL (there are some feature requests in the tracker that
> > target it, though).
> > So, to effectively change the GUI language, Pd needs to be restarted. Do
> we
> > wish to have a language selection option in the preferences, which
>  writes
> > its setting somewhere on the disk, and then load_locale would be changed
> in
> > a way that it takes a look at the saved setting before defaulting to the
> > OS/env language? (my vote is: no)
>
> That would be possible.  I would be willing to accept such a patch if it
> was
> well tested but I'm not going to write it :)
>
> .hc

Well I shall not take on more things (but to carry on with things that I've
already started), but... :)
This stuff would actually be another driver for me to dive into the prefs
system... and eventually evolve that a bit, too*.

* right now the guiprefs system is geared towards the recentfiles list, and
it might need some mods to serve other purposes as well.

András