[PD] Automating startup

Rick Bragg rbragg at gmnet.net
Sat Jan 12 19:47:57 CET 2013

Hi,

I would like to set up my system to set up my patch automatically with jack and all
the right connections when the system boots. I am using Ubuntu studio at the
moment.

I currently have it set so that qjackctl starts when I log in, and I set qjackctl
to automatically start up jack server when it opens, and then to open my pd file
after it starts.

I have a few problems to overcome.

First, every time pd starts, I need to go into the "Media" menu and change from
"Default MIDI" to "Alsa MIDI"  Why do I have to change this every time?  Shouldn't
this setting be saved?

Second problem:
After pd opens, I always need to go back to qjackctl, open up the the "connections"
and change the MIDI connections.  Can't I save this as a patchbay setting somehow?
I tried that, but it doesn't work because the patchbay settings need to load AFTER
pd starts  otherwise the pd connections are not available.

Are there any good documentation somewhere that discusses automating all this kind
of stuff?

Thanks!
Rick