[PD] how to iterate over left and right channel separately in one Pd class?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 22:45:40 CET 2013

It's interesting, but rather compiler-and-processor-specific. Such
code is maintanance-intensive. At the moment, ARM processors are
screaming loudest for optimization. Best thing for a community project
is probably plain C code which reckons with parallel processing,
because that won't go away for the next few decades. Functions like
copy_perform8(), times_perform8() etc. can profit from SIMD
instructions without a need for compiler intrinsics and asm code.
Well-structured data storage and access can make a 50 % or more
performance gain, in my experience.

Another important thing: avoid float precision conversions. Throughout
Pd there are many untyped float defines and literal constants which
default to double, and I have introduced more when making libs
double-ready. Not good. I'll come back to this in another thread.

Katja