[PD] Raspberry Pi does denormals

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 12:54:34 CET 2013

I was assuming, or maybe just hoping? that Raspberry Pi (and ARM
devices in general) would not suffer from Denormal's disease like
Intel processors do. But guess what: Pi's float coprocessor is IEEE
754 compliant and does all denormals by default (can check with
attached denorm-test.pd). Bummer! As if one would use an ARM device to
calculate the size of a Majorana particle, rather than doing simple
dsp. Do we really need to enable PD-BIGORSMALL() checks for this poor
little processor? There seems to be something called 'RunFast mode'
for Pi's float processor vfpv2, but I see no way how to enable this
via gcc. Option -ffast-math is allowed but doesn't do the trick. Can't
find an option to set vfpv2 specifically, in gcc docs.

Katja