[PD] Question about controllers

James Mckernon jmckernon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:10:44 CET 2013

I haven't used a great deal of controllers, but I'm fond of the korg
microkontrol, now sadly discontinued, although one is still able to
get hold of it fairly easily. Fairly good, sturdy build quality (metal
body), and nice range of different control types, quite similar to the
akai one you mention being interested in. It also has some LCD
displays, which the user can change the colour of and display
eight-character strings on, when the controller is in what's called
'native mode'. The other advantage of this mode is that rotary
encoders can be used in 'endless'/relative mode instead of 'absolute'.
Anyway, I find it quite useful for PD-type stuff. (Incidentally, I
have some pd code for working with this native mode, so let me know if
you do end up using it and would be interested in this.)

Hope that helps,