[PD] Raspberry Pi does denormals

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:28:30 CET 2013

Miller, the vanilla Pd which can be installed from Raspbian with
apt-get or Synaptic does have the subnormals problem, as can be
checked with a test patch attached with my first post. When an input
signal to [lop~] is shut off, CPU load increases substantially. Output
values go down in the order of 1e-44, subnormal range. I was working
on reverb algo's showing the same problem, and compiled with option
-ffastmath / --fast-math to see if that would turn on RunFast mode,
but it didn't.

I'm not familiar with ARM and it's coprocessors, but from Intel I do
know that gcc doesn't implement certain specified optimization options
(notably SSE versions) unless you also mention a processor type that
can handle it . A similar case could be with Rpi's vfpv2; it can do
RunFast mode but gcc doesn't implement it, until you find a way to
specify vfpv2 (vfpv1 can't do RunFast). Miller, if you succeeded in
getting automatic flush-to-zero on the Pi, it may be related to other
flags which you've set. Arch flags which I've set so far are
-march=armv6 and -mfpu=vfp. Option -mfpu=vfpv2 is not allowed. I would
be happy to do further testing with compiler options, if you know
some. The big-or-small checks are rather expensive for RPi, that's
what I've found.

Katja