[PD] Mirroring physical patch cables in Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jan 21 05:53:55 CET 2013

On 01/20/2013 12:08 PM, Tedb0t wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of existing designs to mirror the state of physical patch cables in a Pd patch?  In other words, I'm going to have an installation with a bunch of physical patch cables plugged in between various pods and I'd like them to control a Pd patch.

hey tedbot,

You could also just play sine waves thru them and then feed all signals to a
set of bandpass filters.  Measure the amplitude of the filtered signals and
you know which one you have.  But perhaps your PWM technique would use less
CPU, if that's an issue.

> So far I've been thinking I could generate different PWM signals at each unique cable source and measure them at each receiving socket, then send the graph data to the computer and use dynamic patching to control the patch.  However, I'm wary of using dynamic patching in a production environment—any thoughts?

you can just have a set of pre-loaded patches and switch between them using
[switch~].  I've used that with good results in a production environment.