[PD] GUI toolkits and custom GUIs WAS: Integra Live 1.5 released

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Mon Jan 21 13:24:03 CET 2013

[sorry about partial message send, thumb slip]

I am working on a pd-clone intended to explore a lot of the topics in this thread.  It's not fully baked yet -- the biggest working patch is a biquad filter designer with pole-zero and freq response plotting -- but I'm particularly excited about the approach to namespacing and scope management, which works a lot like hc describes.  Patches have a set of scopes which can be mapped onto subpatches (represented as layers, not separate windows).  Name resolution in send/receive elements works like you would want it to.

The GUI is implemented in Clutter, which is a pretty nice toolkit and gives you things like zooming for free.  With the pd-style graphics the GUI isn't that huge a load.

I'm submitting a paper to LAC in a week or so, and the code (Linux only ATM, and not for the faint of heart) is on github: http://www.github.com/bgribble/mfp

It's a bit premature to "announce" this code, but the discussion is hitting really close to a lot of the topics of my interest so I couldn't resist :)

Thanks,
Bill Gribble