[PD] Pd --> Python, IPC, FUDI, pdreceive, et cetera !

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:42:25 CET 2013

Dear List,

I've been working a lot with Python and Pd lately, and i would like to have
better means of communication between the two.
I know next to nothing about inter-process communication, I know nothing
about FUDI (except that it's the protocol used by pdsend and pdreceive),
and I have no idea what pdreceive was originally designed for. I've only
used the subprocess (formerly popen) module in python, but i don't know how
to use it with streams of messages coming from the standard output of a
running process.
I don't want to use libpd for now because i only need to send and receive
simple messages between Python and Pd.

Can someone please provide a few hints ?

Cheers!

Pierre.