[PD] GUI toolkits and custom GUIs WAS: Integra Live 1.5 released

Leandro da Mota Damasceno lemota at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:05:53 CET 2013

That sounded like a Lego approach. :)

So the way I see it the GUI development should be in the most seemless way
for the user, right?

And we also have the problem between people who prefer a simple, leaner GUI
approach (the classic PD, for instance) against people who prefer a more
sofisticated, and sexy GUI. And I believe both groups would also like some
more knobs and stuff...

so basically, we should at least have two options of gui: simple (classic)
or sophisticated (sexy). But it would be cool to make it open enough to
anyone develop their own or come up with new and customized ones. that
would make PD way cooler than Max/MSP or anything else. So for that to work
(and now I must admit I really don't know the architecture behind this part
of PD, so maybe it is already this way), the comunication between the GUI
and the rest of PD should be kept simple, fast and modulated, working with
the leanest possible API. I also think this is a good approach considering
that most of these toolkits will stop getting support way before PD ceases
to exist. I have also thought about the possibility of skins, but then

At the same time we pick a toolkit and focus on that one first. So we
should think of at least two teems, right? One at the GUI end and the other
at the core PD end...

What do you guys think?