[PD] Raspberry Pi does denormals

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:04:12 CET 2013

Hey Pierre,

I've commented patch denorm-test.pd in such a way that it explains the
topic a bit more (see attached). Now I'd like to ask you, if you can
run the patch on a 'normal' computer and on your Raspberry Pi for
comparison. If you have Pd gui on the Pi, you should be able to check
if your Pd install has a denormals issue. It's hard to believe that I
would be the only one experiencing this issue, but I need to be sure.

In my previous mail I stated that it is easy to avoid subnormals by
just feeding a very small number in objects that may decay into
subnormal range (feedback delay lines and most filters). But in
practice, this is not always so easy, as I am now experiencing while
trying to make a big patch work well on the Pi. There are many more
filters than I was aware of. For example, following a bit-mangling
operation a [hip~] was added to remove DC. Now if the bit-mangler
stops receiving signal input, [hip~] starts to chew subnormals until
it will receive signal again. I found that each filter struggling with
subnormals eats at least 6% CPU time (while they do some 0.25% in
normal state). Pd objects should really take care of this in one way
or another, it's too confusing for the user to sort it out. I'm going
to try recompile Pd with PD_BIGORSMALL checks enabled, and see what it
means for the normal performance of the filter objects.

Katja