[PD] Pd --> Python, IPC, FUDI, pdreceive, et cetera !

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:45:57 CET 2013

On 23/01/13 10:28, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2013-01-23 10:22, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> it seems your example is missing the newline (;\n). iirc I've had
>>> a few pd lockups when sending lots of messages from Processing
>>> without the newline.
>> Good to know, and easy to add to the script. And of course you
>> wouldn't really be hard-coding stuff like that. Just for curiosity,
>> how many is 'lots'?.
Actually... I'm not sure the "\n" is really so relevant for *sending* to
Pd, as if I understand correctly the ";" is...
> [netsend] will only emit the message once it receives the terminator.
> so it has to buffer all the data, till it encounters the terminator.
> and since the term never comes, it will eventually get out of memory.
> (and long before that it will start to choke, but *when* is really
> depending on your system)

Ok.. but in the example there is no [netsend]... there is [netreceive]
and Python is doing the sending through sockets.

The attached seem to work fine sending the 10000 messages (ready for a
[tabwrite]) down until 0.08s (80 ms) interval, even with dsp turned on.
As soon as the INTERVAL goes below 0.08s (see python script) Pd starts
to choke badly on my system. Again adding an "\n" doesn't seem to be
relevant.

Lorenzo.