[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-extended 0.43.4 release candidate 1: last chance to report your bugs

Pierre-Olivier Boulant po.boulant at free.fr
Wed Jan 23 13:31:10 CET 2013

On 23/01/2013 13:22, Pierre-Olivier Boulant wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's a tough one.  Is this something that you have reported
>>> before,
>>> like in a bug report in the tracker?  Do you get any error messages
>>> when it
>>> happens?
>>>
>>> I've seen bugs like this in the past, I think we've fixed some of
>>> them, but I
>>> wouldn't be surprised if there are still some out there.
>> Hello, I think I've found out where this problem comes from...
>> It's related with audio, asio particulary...portaudio is still a big
>> problem here...
>>
>> In some words, when asio doesn't work the mouse binding is out.
>>
>> I'd be glad to put a bug report but I don't really know how to
>> attribute this one,
>> it's both hardware (it might be a portaudio bug),
>> hardcoding (it might be how portaudio is implemented in pd),
>> and interface (the tcl part shouldn't be involved when audio is
>> messing up)...
>>

> Hi,
>
> It seems I have something similar on Windows 7 64bits.
>
> When selecting ASIO (DSP on or off), I have a great lag when moving
> the mouse around. The object takes a second to catch up with mouse
> pointer once it's stopped. There's no continuous updating of the
> object position like with MMIO selected.
> Happens on a new canvas with just one object, any object (I used
> [route] and [sel]), not just GUI stuff. With GUI elements (numbox) the
> value is not updated until the mouse stops briefly.
>
> pob

Looking into the matter, it seems to affect portaudio when I select the
sound chip of the laptop, but not when I select ASIO4all. I haven't
tried my RME Hdsp yet.

Also, when turning off DSP, the tick left of the selected audio output
mode disappears (ASIO or MMIO). It reappears once you re-enable DSP.