[PD] RPi audio tips & tweaks

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:45:29 CET 2013

Hi all,

Back to messing with my RPi after the slew of positive news recently.

Unfortunately I'm not really hearing/seeing such good results myself.
Certainly not getting anything like Miller and Pierre's 10ms full duplex
from within Pd.  In fact it's still really glitchy/unstable verging on the
unusable.

I'm presuming that people are getting such decent results by running Pd
headless (no gui).  Because of the patches I'm wanting to run I do need to
have the gui so am wondering if anyone has some tips to squeeze a little
more out the pi?

Have updated Raspbian to most recent, done the usb tweak to 1.1, removed
pulseaudio.

I'm running the pi via ssh through my laptop.  I'm also running vncserver
on the pi and xvncviewer on my debian lappy.

Also have an imic, so don't need anything other than usb-audio.

So things like: is it worth disabling some of the audio and midi modules,
that kind of stuff, well you know, anything really?

Many thanks in advance,

Julian