[PD] remote desktop on the Pi and other questions about it

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 17:18:02 CET 2013

In a recent workshop in Nantes I covered most of these network issues.

http://spectrasoft.co.uk/~andyf/NANTES0113/rpi1.pdf

(there are error in this, its work in progress for another workshop in Feb)

A lot of hoops to jump though, but yes you can develop on the RPi using
only one CAT5 cable and power (One cable when the RPi gets PoE).

Really, you need to put all these commands in a pair of scripts, one
on the host and one on the RPi (actually you can put them all
in the host script and run the one on the board remotely upon
successful connection :)

On MacOS, masquerading to get internet back through the host without
a separate router is really easy.

What is missing from this brief intro is the amazing use that tcpdump,
netcat, and ip can be, definitely tools worth learning when developing
for embedded and SBC targets.

cheers
Andy