[PD] [rpi] X11 forwarding woes

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 17:44:56 CET 2013

Root cannot open a display owned by another user. Logging in as
user1 and then running a forwarded X application as user2 will fail
unless user2 can write to the same display.

As for ssh, I think -X is deprecated in favour of -Y for many reasons

Also, why use ssh? Unless you are exposing the RPi directly to the internet
(It is a COW installed system, not a RO live system so could
be compromised), then why bother? The encrytion overhead is quite
a drag on bandwidth. At least turn the cipher to a lightweight
one like Blowfish. Otherwise, open the X using xhost and export
a display setting.

cheers,
Andy