[PD] absolute vs relative filepath on oggread~

Òscar Martínez Carmona xamps23 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:19:03 CET 2013

what do you get when trying to open the files  with relative filenames
(without OSC)?

The same error!
Looks that I need to provide the absolute path cause I cannot open the file
even if I place it in the same patch's path.
I guess the solution will be using [getdir], as I read in a thread similar
to this, to dinamically get the patch's path (this app should work in
different computers so this is needed).

Another question I have related to oggread~ is; I'm using it cause, as you
can imagine, I can play .ogg files @ 320kbs that weight a quarter the .aif
ones weight, but does it take much more cpu process?(aslong as it has to
decode the file I supose there must be some computational cost in addition)
Thanx! (pd-list kicks ass, awesome people!)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Andy Farnell
<padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:18:00AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

> > > Current working directory not set
> > >

> > but there is _always_ a current working directory. even if your file
> > has not beed saved.
>

> You are right. I am confusing two things worth distinguishing,
> the current working directory and the path to the saved file.
> Analogously to other environments, C/Perl/Python etc, the
> distinction is something like that between the variables
>
> CWD = Initially the directory from which the application
>       was launched, but can change during an invokation
>
> FILE = a path belonging to an asset of application, the path
>        to a script or source module.
>
> I'm not sure the latter exists in Pd, or if it would even be helpful
> if it did.
>

> > probably adding this simple message (at a more informational loglevel
> > than the "file not found" error) would help more:
> > "current working directory is ..." (substitute "..." with the real
> > working directory)
>
> Yes. The console could even prepend a path like Bash $PS, although
> many would be annoyed by that where the path grows long.
>
> Just thinking aloud at this stage.
>
> Andy

Òscar Martínez Carmona