[PD] file format for GEM

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Sun Feb 3 22:09:40 CET 2013

Hi,

please respond to the list, as others may help in answering your
follow-up questions, and / or may benefit from the conversation.0

On 03.02.2013 21:49, Stephan Elliot Perez wrote:
> Thanks. I have no idea what a bash script is or what to do with it, but I
> will read through the thread...

If you use Linux or Mac OS X, bash is usually installed on your system.
It is a command line interface and can be used for scripting.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_%28Unix_shell%29)

This particular script is nothing fancy, and I have made it mostly to
remind the parameters for mencoder.

> Also, I selected JPEG-Photo using the program "MPEGStreamclip" at %100
> quality and it produces quite a large file. With "auto", the CPU goes over
> 90, but if I drag up or down on the framerate's number box, it stays at
> around 30-40...

I assume JPEG-Photo is MJPEG: The video file gets so large, because you
store a JPEG for each frame instead of full image for keyframes only and
then changes for subsequent frames as do other video codecs (rough
explanation). [pix_film] can then read each frame as a JPEG and does not
need to find the last keyframe and apply the changes to it, so playback
should be possible with lower CPU usage.

Please tell us some information about your system, i.e. CPU, graphic
card, operating system etc., maybe someone with a similar setup can
respond with further advice for optimisation.

Hth,
Thomas
--
"Chaney was aware that anything, however small, can get the eye of the
media if it's repulsive enough." (Robert Anton Wilson - The Universe