[PD] file format for GEM

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 4 16:55:54 CET 2013

On 02/03/2013 10:54 PM, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03.02.2013 22:48, Stephan Elliot Perez wrote:
>> I am talking about PD's CPU meter. I don't have the impression that PD
>> takes full advantage of 2 quad-core processors. When processing audio,
>> anything over 100 in PD's meter will lead to glitched audio. I am just
>> wondering if it will be much more when I load other videos and transition
>> between them.
>
> Pd will only use one core, and one core for the GUI. There are ways to
> distribute the load over several cores, e.g. [pd~] or use several
> instances of Pd that communicate with each others:

Pd will use multiple threads for a few specific tasks, like streaming
soundfiles from disk (with [readsf~]).

Gem will also try to utilize multiple threads for special tasks as well,
like image acquisition.
e.g on backends that support it[*], you get two tasks, Pd's main task
(with all audio and video rendering) and one decoding task (per image
acquisition object).

gmasdrs
IOhannes

[*] e.g. gmerlin; QuickTime does not support being run in a concurrent
thread - but then it does multithreading on it's own.