[PD] Plugin auto install feature to Pure data

fls at rendera.com.br fls at rendera.com.br
Tue Feb 5 22:11:25 CET 2013

I agree that depencencies should not install libs. Since it seems to be
the biggest problem, maybe it should be postponed.

Yes, the repository maintenance can be solved latter too. Let's first have
a repository and then think about the best way to keep it on date. :-)

I don't have skills with TCL but I agree that it is a good choice. Is
there how to open zip/tar/something files in TCL? If it can open the
package, it's perfect.

IMO, the first step is to install locally. Define a package structure, a
package header and the install script. Probably it can be used by the
remote install.

I suggest the following package structure:
/content.txt
/bin/files <-to compiled files (architecture dependent)
/help/files <-to help files (architecture independent)
/tcl/files <-to gui files (architecture independent)

This structure should be compacted / grouped in a file with some name
convention like package_name.version.pd_pkg.

The content.txt can be as follow:
name:
author:
version:
key-words:
web-site:
license:
flavor:
dependencies:
instructions:

The install script should select a package, open it, copy the external to
the external dir, copy the help and tcl files to the correct folder,
rename the content.txt to the package name + version and copy it to an
folder designed for this kind of file.

Cheers

f schiavoni