[PD] gimbal lock solution?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:51:04 CET 2013

On Sam, 2013-02-09 at 13:07 +0100, Fero Kiraly wrote:

> Iam trying to rotate GEM object with my android phone, sending from
> acc sensor througth OSC
>

> Gem object rotateXYZ is not the solution for that, maybe because of
> gimbal lock effect...
>

> Did anybody similar working patch in pd ? Or can somebody hel me ?
> many thanks.

If I understand the gimbal lock correctly (I only read about it now),
your problem seems not related to it. With accelerometer data only, you
can only calculate two axis of orientation (pitch and roll), while yaw
is still missing. You cannot measure the angle of rotation along the
direction of gravity with accelerometers. You'd need something else for
yaw, a compass or a gyroscope (while the latter is giving you only
relative measurements).

Roman