[PD] Message from the boss of Raspberry Pi Foundation ! (Jon)

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:57:50 CET 2013

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your insight, and welcome in the list !

I personnally think that for most real-time application (like the guitar
effects processor i'm using), a latency equal à below 10 to 8 ms is
definitely acceptable (especially considering the price). I could imagine
many applications for other instruments that would work just fine with such
a latency.

Pd currently works fine with no GUI at 10 ms, with simple patches. One has
to increase the latency to 16 ms (maybe more for very heavy patches) if one
needs to do some fft or other demanding stuff (i used a phase vocoder in my
video).

So if using the GPU for DSP doesn't reduce latency, but allows for bigger
patches, it's already great news.

Cheers,

Pierre.