[PD] gimbal lock solution?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 15:39:38 CET 2013

I believe it is (unfortunately) not as simple as that. When you rotate
with [rotateXYZ], the three axis are not always perpendicular to each
other. For instance, if you set Y to 90, the X and the Z rotate around
the same axis.

However, the gyroscope (at least the one from Wiimote MotionPlus and
most likely also the one from your phone) consists of three separate
sensor which are perpendicular to each other at any time.

If I understand Fero correctly, he would like to use the sensors so he
can control an object in Gem that follows exactly the orientation of his
phone. I also tried that once with a Wiimote and Gem but I couldn't wrap
my head around the two concepts of [rotateXYZ] and the gyro sensors.

Anyone enlightened might be able to shed some light on this confusion?

Roman