[PD] gyro sensors to absolute rotation WAS: Re: gimbal lock solution?

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Feb 10 14:06:07 CET 2013

Le 10/02/2013 13:54, Roman Haefeli a écrit :
> On Son, 2013-02-10 at 10:16 +0100, Cyrille Henry wrote:
>
>>> You mean you add each increment (gyro measurement) to the rotation
>>> separately, then get the orientation with gem_list info, add the next
>>> increment to the orientation, get orientation again, add increment etc?
>>> Can you cast that into a little Gem example patch, if it is not too much
>>> trouble?
>>
>> yes.
>> see attachment.
>
> Hey Cyrille, just before I read your mail I figured it out myself. The
> trick (as also shown in your patch) is to use one [rotateXYZ] for adding
> the increments and another one for setting the current orientation
> received from [gemlist_info].
yes, and the order of the 2 rotation is important : if the sensors are relative to the object, the rotation should be in the object referential, so the sensors rotate is on top of the object.
if you have a global rotation (like one would want when changing a view point with the moose), then the rotation should be next to the gemhead.

> You really triggered an 'aha' kind of moment in my head. Thank you for
> that.
;-)

cheers