[PD] RPi - GEM openGL

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:59:47 CET 2013

On 13/02/13 21:15, João de Brito Rocha Reis Vidigal wrote:
> Ok... Hands on!
> I kinda need this... So guide me and I'll try my best!
>
> 1st - can I use pdp_xv on the RPi?... will it work?
> putting it very simply, the thing I need is really just a video window to
> throw some videos in... short videos and from time to time. meaning it is not
> a VJ machine... which it could be... but it ain't!

if you really just need to play videos triggered by your pd patch then you can
use the player that comes with the Pi, it can be played using [shell].

here is a very quick example I set up for a friend who wanted to play a bunch of
videos on que, starting different videos together on 4 or 5 Pis cued from a
laptop over wifi. It wasn't hard for her to get a screenfull of buttons to do
the cues she wanted, and the Pis were great since she didn't have much time to
set up in the venue, so her wifi network could be run and tested offsite. Plus
the Pis worked out cheaper than buying long VGA cables etc.

Anyway this worked for her .. obviously it is extremely limited, but it does let
you play videos cued by pd. Just open pihelp.pd

Now I want to get things a bit better, and see if I can put together a very
simple set of pd objects to set up a window then play and crossfade a series of
videos. Nothing fancy yet, but just getting that up will be a start.

Unfortunately it can't happen too soon, I've got some other stuff on my plate too.

Simon