[PD] OT: Lightest Fastest Linux Window Manager

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Thu Feb 14 22:08:20 CET 2013

Hi,

On 14.02.2013 19:40, Pagano, Patrick wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am setting up a Asus netbook for Pure Data/Gem/pidip and would like to not load the hoggish unity or even gnome seems to slow this little guy down.
> Can linux users suggest a window manager that might serve me best for this purpose.

LXDE: It comes e.g. with Raspbian for the Raspberry Pi and is really
usable, Lubuntu is the Ubuntu variant with it. It used GTK as default
tookit.

XFCE: My favourite, I am using it on a 1 GHz one core Pentium 4 with
Debian, and works really fast. The Ubuntu variant is called Xubuntu.
Toolkit: GTK.

Fluxbox: really lightweight, have not used in in years.

Other lightweight WMs, that I have briefly tested, but not really used:
Englightenment, Openbox, Window Maker.

HTH,
Thomas
--
"Ich komme aus dem Staunen nicht heraus."
"Dann bleib halt drin, du Seppel"